This is got to be one of my favourite cakes, I absolutely love blueberries, and this recipe is so simple, and easy to follow, basically mixing all the ingredients together, add the blueberries and bake! ;)
Blueberries and Lemon Squares:.
15 mins to make, 35 mins to cook
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 225g butter, softene
- 3 tbsp milk
- Grated zest of 3 lemons, plus extra
- 250g blueberries
- 6-8 tbsp lemon juice
- 200g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/fan 150°C/gas 3½. Line a straight-sided 30cm x 25cm traybake tin with baking paper.
- Put the dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the middle, then add the eggs, butter, milk and lemon zest. Beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth and combined, then stir in the berries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin, then bake on the middle oven shelf for 35 minutes or until risen and golden. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix the lemon juice into the icing sugar, a little at a time, until you have a smooth, spreadable icing. Drizzle over the sponge, then scatter with extra lemon zest and leave to set for 1 hour. Cut into 24 squares.
Recipe taken from Delicious magazine ;)